At Abbey we recognise that funerals can be expensive and some people may struggle with the cost. We will make our most affordable funeral package visible to the public, including third party costs and we will charge clear prices for goods and services so people know what they're buying. We always communicate prices in initial conversations and prominently display full price lists in our office. We do not 'slash' our prices to compete with other funeral companies, it is a practice we find very wrong and unfair. We are competitive in our price and exceptional in our service.
For some people the cost of the funeral is a major expense and so we are happy to discuss with you options to reduce the cost of even a basic funeral. For example many crematoria will offer a reduced price for an early morning service, or where no service takes place at their chapel.
Because the cost is made up of many different elements, with both crematoria and cemeteries having vastly different prices, it would be impossible to list here all of the possible combinations. However we can indicate the cost of a basic funeral at our most local crematorium which is at Tunbridge Wells.
The invoice for a funeral is always shown in two parts. The funeral Director's charges which are all of the services which we have provided, and third party costs known as disbursements. Disbursements are fees and charges made by other people and which we pay on your behalf, often before the funeral takes place. For that reason we ask for these disbursements to be paid as a deposit at the time you arrange the funeral. The remainder, the funeral director’s charges must be paid before the funeral.
SIMPLE AND DIGNIFIED FUNERAL SERVICE £2814.00 plus third party disbursements of £1184.00
Funeral Directors charges Correct at June 2020
- Labour and service charge £1999.00
- This includes time with our funeral arranger and all administration needed for the funeral, bringing your loved one into our care even when its outside of normal working hours, appropriate storage for as long as is required, all labour charges up to and on the day of the funeral and all other administrative costs with you and a proportion towards the overheads of the business.
- Hire of our Daimler hearse £350.00
- Provided its within the local area (Tonbridge & surrounding villages / Tunbridge Wells / Sevenoaks) there is no extra charge for leaving from a private address or travelling to the cemetery or crematorium via a place of worship.
- Simple oak veneered coffin £465.00
Total Funeral Director’s charges £2814.00
These charges remain the same for any funeral which is completely carried out within a 10 mile radius of Tonbridge. This basic simple funeral can be enhanced with other services such as following cars, facilities for visiting the deceased and more ornate coffins and caskets. Our comprehensive price list which covers additional services is shown below.
Third Party Costs or Disbursements. Correct at June 2020
These will depend on where the burial or cremation takes place. A guide to the most common third party costs are below and should be added to the funeral director's costs for the total price of the funeral.
- Tunbridge Wells Borough Council Crematorium fee, including burial of remains in the garden of remembrance and the medical referee’s charge. ONLY FOR SERVICES AT 9am, 9.30am, 4pm and 4.30pm are for half an hour slots and cost £670. Tunbridge Wells Crematorium bookings between 10am and 3.15pm are for 45 minutes services at a fee of £820.
- Doctor’s cremation certificates payable to GP practice or hospital £82.00 per doctor
- Minister or celebrant: Paid to the individual or to the church £200 to £250
Funeral Directors have no control over these third party costs which generally rise each year and often above the level of inflation. Any increases in our fees are always inflationary only to reflect the increased costs we face as a business and to ensure that every member of our staff is paid a living wage as a minimum.*
For a variety of reasons, some religious, some financial, it is not unusual for a family to choose not to have a funeral service at all. Instead they select a direct cremation alternative to a funeral. In this case we bring your loved one into our care from a local address during normal working hours, provide a simple coffin which we will then transport to the local crematorium and take directly to the cremator.
- Time and date for funeral as per family request although no provision for chapel time.
- Provides for the moving of the deceased into our care from a local area.
- Attending to all arrangements, preparation of documentation, liaison with appropriate authorities and care of the deceased prior to the funeral
- The use of our Jaguar Hearse to take deceased to crematorium via a local address
- Provision of funeral staff at crematorium
- An Ely oak coloured foiled coffin with fleur bar exterior fittings
£1850 plus disbursements of : (as of 1st June 2020)
Tunbridge Wells Crem £475.00
Doctors £82.00 per doctor
If additional staff are needed at the crematorium for lifting purposes they will be charged at £50 each
If you would like to visit our chapel of rest to see your loved one this would be available to you at an additional cost:
Embalming and preparation £ 195
Additional labour charge £150
There are many online companies offering a similar direct cremation service, but you should be aware that some do not have suitable premises in which to keep your loved one in the days between collection and cremation. We guarantee that your loved one will be kept in an appropriately refrigerated area and be afforded the same care and dignity as anyone having a full funeral service.
When there is no chapel time used for a funeral we advise that the family take time to celebrate the life of their loved one, together, in a way that helps with your loss.
Please note that this applies only to cremations and not burials, an additional charge will be made if the deceased is moved outside of our normal working hours. i.e. between 5pm and 8.30am, weekends and bank holidays. No additions to this service can be made.
Local in hours Included in Labour charge (Tonbridge & surrounding villages / Tunbridge Wells / Sevenoaks)
Local, out of hours ,weekends and bank holidays there is NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE
All Others, Price on request
- This charge covers our staff time and a proportion towards our overheads.
- Funeral Service at local venue £1999.00
- Vinters Park/Worth/Charring/Medway All Plus £150.00
- South London, London & South Coast areas All Plus £250.00
|JAGUAR HEARSE - Local £350.00 (Tonbridge & surrounding villages / Tunbridge Wells / Sevenoaks)|| |
Out of area Price on request
|JAGUAR LIMOUSINE - Local £245.00 (Tonbridge & surrounding villages / Tunbridge Wells / Sevenoaks)|| |
Out of area Price on request
Use of child car seat (9 months – 4 yrs only) No charge
|Embalming, Dressing & Preparation for viewing|| |
|Dressing & Preparation for viewing (no embalming)|| |
|Coffin into Church prior to service (inc staff & vehicle)|| |
|Coffin to home prior to service (inc Staff, Vehicle And Risk Assessment)|| |
|Delivery of funeral flowers (Tonbridge area only)|| |
|Delivery of funeral flowers (Other areas)|| |
Price on request
|Arranging Interment of Ashes|| |
|Transporting Deceased to Doctor for certification|| |
|Private chapel use|| |
|OAK CROSS GRAVE MARKERS|| |
18” £48, 36” £67
|ASHES CASKETS|| |
We have an extensive range of memorial items such as Memorial Bears made from precious items of clothing, Ashes Pandora Charms and Fingerprint keepsakes. We are also able to provide you with Monumental Masonry through our sister company Kent & Sussex Memorials, from ashes tablets to full size memorials in both churches and cemeteries. Please ask a member of staff for assistance
BABYS FUNERALS AND CHILDREN FUNERALS UP TO THE AGE OF 18
We will provide our services up to the day of the funeral free of charge – to include the funeral arrangements, collection of child or young adult from place of death to our chapel of rest and all other staff hours required up to the day of the funeral.
There will be no charge for the Hearse on the day of the funeral or alternative vehicle from our fleet.
We will provide the family with a light oak veneered coffin or white baby casket at no cost.
Funeral staff on the day of the funeral will be charged to the family at a maximum cost of £250 – The number of staff members needed will be at our discretion, but will not exceed 5
If, for any reason, more than 5 are needed then additional staff will be charged at £50 each
Fees that the will or may be incurred and which are dependent on your wishes:
Alternative modes of transportation of the coffin e.g. Horse and Carriage The full cost of this will apply.
Alternative coffin to that which we provide free of charge. The full cost of this will apply.
Limousines will be charged at our normal rate.
Disbursements: fees that are charged by 3rd parties and passed onto you.
- Embalming if requested
- Order of Services
- Crematorium/Cemetery fees
- Clergy/Church/Celebrant fees
- Medical certificates
- Stone masonry (a temporary oak cross grave marker will be provided for free)